Ming Gao
  • Client Partner/ Registered Conveyancer (Mandarin speaking)
  • Glenelg
Ming Gao

Frequently asked questions

What is e-conveyancing?

E-conveyancing is the process of conducting property conveyancing transactions electronically. It involves the use of digital technology to transfer documents including the property title and other legal documents between parties involved in a property sale or purchase. At the moment the main platform providers operating in Australia are PEXA and Sympli.

The main aim of e-conveyancing is to simplify and streamline the process of property conveyancing work by reducing the need for manual paperwork and increasing the efficiency of communication between parties. E-conveyancing platforms enable real-time access to relevant property information, including land titles, mortgage details, and other legal documents.

E-conveyancing is currently being implemented in several countries around the world, not just Australia. It is used also in New Zealand, and Singapore. It offers several benefits, including faster processing times, reduced errors and costs, improved security, and increased transparency in property transactions. E-conveyancing was mandated in South Australia in August 2020, driven largely by the global pandemic which saw the closure of face to face settlement operations.

Can the vendor and the purchaser use the same conveyancer?

In most cases, it is not recommended for a vendor and purchaser to use the same conveyancer, as this can create a potential conflict of interest. A conveyancer’s primary responsibility is to their client, and they are required to act in their client’s best interests at all times. If a conveyancer is representing both the vendor and the purchaser, they may not be able to provide impartial advice to both parties.

However, in some situations, such as a family transfer or where both parties are known to each other and agree to the arrangement, it may be possible for a vendor and purchaser to use the same conveyancer. In these cases, the conveyancer must disclose the potential conflict of interest to both parties and obtain their informed consent.

So, while it is possible for a vendor and purchaser to use the same conveyancer in certain situations, it is generally not recommended. Engaging separate conveyancers ensures that each party has an advocate who is acting solely in their best interests and can provide impartial advice throughout the transaction.

How long does the conveyancing process take?

The length of the conveyancing process in South Australia can vary depending on a variety of factors, including the complexity of the transaction, the efficiency of the conveyancers involved, and any potential legal or financial issues that may arise during the process.

Typically, the conveyancing process can take anywhere from 6-12 weeks to complete in South Australia. This timeframe includes the time required for searches and checks to be conducted on the property, the preparation of legal documents, and the exchange of funds between the prospective buyer and seller.

However, the process can sometimes take longer if there are any unexpected legal or financial issues that arise, such as disputes over property boundaries or outstanding debts on the property. In these cases, the conveyancers may need to take additional time to resolve the issues before the transaction can be completed.

Overall, it is important to allow enough time for the conveyancing process when buying or selling a property in South Australia, to ensure that everything runs smoothly and to avoid any potential delays or issues. Engaging an experienced and efficient conveyancer can also help to speed up the process and ensure that the transaction is completed as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Can I buy or sell a house without a conveyancer?

In most cases, it is possible to buy or sell a house without a conveyancer, but it is not recommended. Conveyancing is a complex legal process that involves a variety of legal and financial considerations and attempting to navigate the settlement process without professional assistance can be risky and potentially costly

Engaging a conveyancer is particularly important when buying or selling a property, as they can help to ensure that the transaction is legally valid and binding, and that your interests are protected. They can also provide advice on any potential financial or legal issues that may arise during the transaction and help to resolve these issues before they become a problem.

In addition to their professional expertise, conveyancers also have access to a range of resources and tools, such as property searches and legal documents, that are essential to completing a property transaction.

Overall, while it is possible to buy or sell a house without a conveyancer, it is not recommended. Engaging a conveyancer can help to ensure that the transaction is completed smoothly and efficiently and can provide you with peace of mind knowing that your interests are protected throughout the process.

How can we help?



180 Flinders Street
Adelaide 5000


12 Adelaide Rd
Gawler South 5118

Gilles Plains

1 Sudholz Road
Gilles Plains 5086


10 Moseley Street
Glenelg 5045

McLaren Vale

178 Main Road
McLaren Vale 5171


84-86 George Street
Millicent 5280

Mount Barker

18 Cameron Road
Mount Barker 5251

Mount Gambier

3 Penola Road,
Mount Gambier 5290


20 Omerod Street
Naracoorte 5271

Port Lincoln

Shop 2, 50 Liverpool Street
Port Lincoln 5606


49 Murray Street
Tanunda 5352

Victor Harbor

138 Hindmarsh Road
Victor Harbor 5211